One day I want to become a writer, and artist, an editor. I have traveled so much with my parents and my brothers that they are my closest friends and sometimes I wonder if I can actually say I come from any certain country. I love food so much that I think of countries according to the dishes they serve. And also, I am sharing my life with you.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Monday's recommendation on Tuesday

So since it was Valentine's Day and I'm so feverish I sometimes forget where my pen is when it is on my ear (sigh...),  I fully forgot the recommendation of the week!
So while in Morocco, more on the trip coming soon as well, I was reading this book my mother said would be a great, light and romantic, read. I could not agree more.

The Tall Pine Polka
by Lorna Landvik


This story is sure to charm and delight anyone with a sheen towards romance. Not only are the love stories dream worthy, there is something so real about the universe she creates for us. From their witty humor to the sad moments, from angry to sad, the characters stay true to theirselves and really bring this story to life. This little treasure really explores every aspect of love and life.
The main characters are Fenny and Lee. Two best friends who discover how much they really mean to each other as the story develops. The story takes place in Tall Pine, Minnesota and all the small town characters go head on with Hollywood as Fenny manages to attract the attention of a major Hollywood writer (and soon after Director) passing through their small town.
The myriad of characters are enough to keep you entertained even without the Hollywood scene hustling and bustling about. Landvik seems to effortlessly tell us about the lives of the lesbian couple Frau Katte and Miss Penk (the only women out of the closet in town), Slim the Vietnam vet who is barking mad... literally, Pete the closet shoemaker and many more.
I have a special place for this book on my shelf because of the way it describes the movie business (in which I am a player), this book shows me what I love about making movies and all that 'behind-the-scenes' stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment