One day I want to become a writer, and artist, an editor. I have traveled so much with my parents and my brothers that they are my closest friends and sometimes I wonder if I can actually say I come from any certain country. I love food so much that I think of countries according to the dishes they serve. And also, I am sharing my life with you.

Monday, October 24, 2011

Monday's recommendation

Howl's Moving Castle
by Diana Wynne Jones






So you may know the fantastic Hayao Miyazaki and the movies he has made. I think I might have mentioned some, unless I haven't in which case I must make a list of those for all of you. They are fabulous and must be seen.
Well *segue* Hayao Miyazaki based lots of his movies and stories by Diana Wynne Jones. One of the latest movies, actually the latest movie he made before Ponyo, was Howl's Moving Castle (same title).
The story is the same, just about, as the movie except that the animated movie is in a world of its own while the novel links up with our world and connects us even more to the story (and the possibility that we could venture into that world).
We follow a young hero, Sophie Hatter, who works at her family hat shop and is very talented with a needle. As she works alone a lot of the time she talks to her creations and unknowingly talks life into them. Everything in her life is rather dull and repetitive until the Witch of Waste, unsatisfied with her hats, turns her into an old lady. It is after this unfortunate event that she becomes the cleaning lady of the infamous Howl, known for eating the hearts out of young girls. But he is also known because of his powerful magic, exactly what Sophie needs to return to her original form.

If you take the time to read this lovely story you would definitely enjoy the movie.


No comments:

Post a Comment