One day I want to become a writer, and artist, an editor. I have traveled so much with my parents and my brothers that they are my closest friends and sometimes I wonder if I can actually say I come from any certain country. I love food so much that I think of countries according to the dishes they serve. And also, I am sharing my life with you.

Monday, October 17, 2011

Monday's recommendation

A Game of Thrones
by George R. R. Martin



I actually read this one a while ago but re-read it before watching the TV show.
This is a fantastic book, as many people will say.
The story follows the Stark family. Eddard Stark the head of the family, his wife Catelyn Stark and their children. The main character of which are Sansa, the eldest daughter, Arya the second daughter, Bran the second to youngest son and Jon Snow, called that way because he is Eddard's bastard son.

The two other main viewpoint character are Daenerys Targaryen  who comes from the original royal line kicked off of the throne when the 'mad king' was dethroned by Eddard Starks friend, Robert Baratheon.
And Tyrion Lannister, the dwarf brother of queen Cersei and her twin Jaime. His house being famous for their wealth and scheming.

The story starts North of the wall where we discover that there are very strange things going on in the North. We discover the Stark family and the creatures of the North as all the children of the Stark family adopt pups from a dead Direwolf, even an albino wolf for Jon Snow.
We follow the lives of the different characters as we meet them and discover plots and schemes throughout the Kingdom as the Starks try to set things straight and protect their families honor.
On the opposite side of the world we discover the wild tribes where Daenerys lives in exile with her brother, another crazed Taragaryen who believes himself to be the last living dragon (their house is famous for being that of the dragons symbol, the Starks are the wold and the Lannisters the lion... I think). She learns of her origins and discovers that she is more than her brother will ever be.

I should probably not name favorites but Jon Snow is my favorite of the characters. Having said that, this story is one of the great examples of how good writing can make multiple storylines work.




I also want to recommend the TV series that in my opinion is extremely good for a series based on a book. Although it does shorten the story quite a bit and leave out a couple of things (or change a few things that bothered me a tiny bit) it does get to the basics of the story and the actors are very well chosen.

No comments:

Post a Comment