One day I want to become a writer, and artist, an editor. I have traveled so much with my parents and my brothers that they are my closest friends and sometimes I wonder if I can actually say I come from any certain country. I love food so much that I think of countries according to the dishes they serve. And also, I am sharing my life with you.

Monday, October 3, 2011

Monday's recommendation

His Dark Materials Trilogy
by Philip Pullman

The Golden Compass

As a first in a trilogy goes, this book sets up the scene perfectly. The interesting world Pullman created pulls us in almost immediately and gets us intrigued about the characters, their similarities and their differences with us.  This was the first book I read that was a little bit more difficult than the kids books I was reading at the time (yeah, it came out a while back), and I read it just about six times and wrote a children's book report about it. I brought it to school with me, yes, I was obsessed. And above all else I really wanted a daemon. 
We follow Lyra and her journeys as she discovers an artifact called the Golden Compass, supposedly extremely hard to read, but she is able to do it in almost minutes. It is on her fathers trails and with the evil Mrs. Coulter on her heels that she will discover more about her world than she ever could have imagined. In fact it isn't only her world that matters any more. 

(Vague I know but it is so good to discover the whole story on your own)





The Subtle Knife

An immediate follow up from the first book, best to buy the two together so you can get rid of that pesky middle man and just consider the both of them as one. This story continues on with Lyra and her new friend from somewhere completely different to her but not so different to us. 


The Amber Spyglass

Alright so I'm not going to ruin the ending because it is fantastic. Though I must warn you, this book reads itself under a blanket, preferably reading cocoa (or another warm drink that you enjoy) and perhaps a box of kleenex nearby if you are prone to cry at a book. 
(I know I can cry at mangas... Alright I cry whenever I read anything sad.)

Please enjoy this fabulous adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment