One day I want to become a writer, and artist, an editor. I have traveled so much with my parents and my brothers that they are my closest friends and sometimes I wonder if I can actually say I come from any certain country. I love food so much that I think of countries according to the dishes they serve. And also, I am sharing my life with you.

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Monday's recommendation

Holes
by Louis Sachar






This is, again, a novel for young people. I know, I know, but isn't it your favorite stories from your youth that stick with you the longest?
This story tells the tale of Stanley Yelnats the third. After being accused of stealing a pair of shoes Stanley has to choose between going to jail or going to a correctional camp, the choice seems easy at the time. Stanley soon finds himself shipped off to a camp in the middle of a dry desert, no water to be seen for miles, two pairs of orange working clothes and a camp-full of real criminals who have been there for too long. He soon finds out that the camp is completely based around digging holes in the desert, the guards say it is to build character, Stanley believes that you wouldn't dig through a whole desert unless you were looking for something.

This story was without a doubt one of my favorites when I first began to be assigned books at school. Don't you miss the good old days where they used to assign you good things to read in class? I do agree that some classics are classics for a reason, some... I just don't know....

No comments:

Post a Comment