One day I want to become a writer, and artist, an editor. I have traveled so much with my parents and my brothers that they are my closest friends and sometimes I wonder if I can actually say I come from any certain country. I love food so much that I think of countries according to the dishes they serve. And also, I am sharing my life with you.

Monday, May 16, 2011

Monday's recommendation

Having been sick I took advantage of my indisposition to read a few books I had lying around my apartment. My friend had left his favorite book with me at the beginning of the year but I'd never come around to reading it so I finally did. And I can tell you, I should have read it sooner.

The Giver
by Lois Lowry


This book, considered a children's book for its short format, is one great short story. If any of my other recommendations were read than I can reference you to 'Genesis' which very much resembles the kind of society portrayed in the Giver and the type of story it tells. Although Genesis might be a bit more bleak.
The Giver tells the story of a futuristic community where families and jobs are all pre-chosen by the community's Elders. At certain ages through life you receive different symbols of acceptance and as a Twelve (a twelve year old) you receive your job. If you break the rules you are Released.
This story follows a young Eleven on the eve of him becoming a Twelve but as the jobs get called out his name gets skipped. Upon arriving at the end of the ceremony the Elders call him up to the stage and announce that he is to be the new Receiver, one of the oldest and most respected jobs in the community. No one knows what this job pertains but our young hero Jonas is about to discover something that will change his world, and everyone elses, forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment