One day I want to become a writer, and artist, an editor. I have traveled so much with my parents and my brothers that they are my closest friends and sometimes I wonder if I can actually say I come from any certain country. I love food so much that I think of countries according to the dishes they serve. And also, I am sharing my life with you.

Monday, September 26, 2011

Write on Wednesday: 4

The Write On Wednesday Rules: Get creative with the writing exercises - there isn't a right or wrong. Please do try to visit the other members of Write On Wednesdays and leave a comment. You can grab the button for Write On Wednesdays from my sidebar.

Write On Wednesdays Exercise 16:
Hadge says:  Take a favorite (or even random play) song and write the story behind the lyrics, not something inspired by the lyric, but the flesh on the bones of the story. It gives lots of scope for interpretative writing. Use the lyrics or theme of a song  for a piece of flash fiction (50 to 200 words). To clarify, write your version of the story behind the lyrics in a song

Resistance by Muse


The rain was beating down harder now. Her breath hung like a cloud in the air before her as she struggled to control her breathing. His hand was crushing hers as he pulled her behind him. He kept looking from one side to the other, he was having trouble catching his breath as well.   
"Jack." she murmured softly, "Jack, we have to stop." 
He looked back at her, his eyes meeting hers for the first time since they had escaped. She didn't regret it, not when she saw the love in his eyes behind the mask of worry. And even in that worry she recognized his want to protect her. 
"There's a cave up this path." he murmured. His voice was deep and broken, the cold was getting to him as well. 
They continued in silence. The path was slippery and she could only focus on the task of climbing from one rock to the other, grateful for the strength in his arms whenever he pulled her back onto her feet. She didn't want to ask how he knew there was a cave, there were many things about him she didn't know but there was just as many that he didn't know about her. It didn't bother her. There weren't many people left who didn't have something to hide. 


The cave was dark but dry and she was grateful for that. She had lived through worse. But now there was the promise of something new, something better. She looked up at Jack. 
"I want to thank you." she whispered. 
The outline of his smile was enough to have her blushing, maybe the darkness was also a blessing. 
"I think I should be thanking you. It wouldn't have been possible without your help." he said. 
For some reason that answer disappointed her.
"We are a good team aren't we?" he asked, sitting next to her. 
She smiled in turn. He always knew what to say. 

But it wasn't thanks to her and she knew it. She was just a tool in their freedom while he was the idea that formed it. If he hadn't appeared, become part of her life, she would still be back there. With that man.


Her fingers wrapped around his arm, pressing closer into his embrace. He was cold and shivering, his clothes were wet but he was still looking out at the entrance of the cave. Making sure they were safe. No one had ever tried to protect her, no one had ever seen the need. Even now she could keep them safe more than he could but she was decidedly reassured by his presence. He had offered her so much but she didn't possess anything to give in return, no worldly goods, no knowledge. 
His shivering was growing worse.
"Jack." she whispered and he turned to her. There was no afterthought, just the simple acquiescence of her words. She loved him for that. She loved him for everything he had done and everything they had gone through together. She wanted to show it to him. Give him something in return. 
"Kat." he said, he could see the resolution in her eyes, "What are you doing?" 
She pressed her hand against his chest and concentrated and the strength they had given her, concentrated on the vast destruction it had caused. She wanted to offer him some of her power, wanted him to understand what she felt for him. 
A soft light shone from her fingertips and pushed its way into his chest. He would have jumped in his surprise, yelped in surprise perhaps, but all he could do was look at those dark eyes as they stared straight into his. 
"Kat."
His lips pressed against hers. 
Nothing she could ever give would compare to that moment. 
She sighed as she pressed into his embrace and felt her own energy pulse through his body and warm his blood. 
"Kat." he moaned between kisses and she could do nothing but moan in response. 
"I love you Kat." he said, "You understand that?" he broke the kiss. 
"I love you." 
The tears filled her eyes and she mumbled her response, "I love you too!" 
He crushed her into his embrace again and just before he kissed her he murmured, "Don't ever forget that. Out of everything that will happen to us. Always remember that."


Her tears spilled over and coursed down her cheeks as she kissed him in response. 


How could she tell him that she already had?




ps:
This is way too long isn't it? If this doesn't count I can rewrite something else...

9 comments:

  1. Waaay too long :) So was mine but I don't think Gill will shoot or excommunicate us for it ..... I hope not ....

    I don't know what to say except, I think that was brilliant! Great choice of song too (which came first, the story or the song??)

    I was watching the chronicles of Riddick at the weekend and all the way through reading this I was picturing Riddick and Kyra.

    I think this is your best yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautifully written. I never really care how long they are ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sarah Mac, the song came first. I think I probably would have written something completely different depending on the song. But this song is the one I've been listening to a lot lately at the same time as developing a new story plot. This is a piece of that plot line.
    Haha I love that movie thanks you ^^

    thanks to you too sars! I never mind either about length :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely piece. I too don't mind the length (good because I can usually go on and on myself ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really lovely, and makes me want to know more :) The song isn't one I've hear before, so I'm off to find it now

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mine was too long to even after scaling it down. You have a wonderful way of incorporating the dialogue without taking the reader out of the story. Wonderfully written.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Long but who cares! I loved reading this, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was one that I had trouble commenting on. Let's hope this one works! This was long but no, I wont excommunicate you for it. A lot of passion in this, you conveyed that well. I also found this piece intriguing, hmmmm, tell us more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry for causing trouble with the length, probably the biggest problem everyone had.

    ReplyDelete