One day I want to become a writer, and artist, an editor. I have traveled so much with my parents and my brothers that they are my closest friends and sometimes I wonder if I can actually say I come from any certain country. I love food so much that I think of countries according to the dishes they serve. And also, I am sharing my life with you.

Monday, September 5, 2011

Monday's recommendation

Hello there, I do realize there are two posts today and sometimes this happens when I have a lot to say or can't wrap my thoughts around one post (the daunting white box!) so I make two, but today there are two because tomorrow and the day after are non-posting days. Sigh.... I loved going back to school when I was young but I don't like bringing people to school, especially if said person does not enjoy school like I used to. Ah well, it must be done. So I hope you enjoy my little writing test and a good read for the two days that I abandon you!
Note: I do say these things often and then find myself at the computer by some forces more powerful than you could imagine so I might be tempted to post something nonetheless.

I apologize for the boring prologue, back to business!
Here's a book I really enjoyed, a warning in advance there are quite a few books in the series but I do think it's worth the hassle of then becoming enslaved on the thought of buying the next. Another warning, my interest did wane for the story when it became a bit more political near book five but it's completely possible to stop when this happens because... well you are the boss of what you do. Oh gosh, I don't want to put you off. Quick, to the book!

Temeraire
by Naomi Novik



I enjoy dragons in any way shape or form, this explains why the book I am writing has a primary cast of dragons, but I do get annoyed when the dragons are just mindless beasts to be destroyed (not the case in my book.... or in this one!).
Temeraire is in no way like that. This alternate reality story tells us about the war between Napoleon and the English; if, that is, Napoleon and the English had battalions of dragons in the sky as well as their fleets of ships. Novik structures a real government and armed forces division around the existence of dragons and their aid to their human masters. This story is really well thought out and the dragon forces are cleverly thought out. Each dragon has his one master but carries a crew on its back mastered by this one captain.
The story follows a young captain of a ship, he is a seafaring man and always has been. It's when his crew and him run smack damn into a french ship that their troubles start.

A short synopsis I know, but this story is worth the personal discovery and the little details that Novik has supplied us with make it a really great world to get lost in.

No comments:

Post a Comment