One day I want to become a writer, and artist, an editor. I have traveled so much with my parents and my brothers that they are my closest friends and sometimes I wonder if I can actually say I come from any certain country. I love food so much that I think of countries according to the dishes they serve. And also, I am sharing my life with you.

Monday, September 6, 2010

The project that is my birds

Great news! I am now able to open Valentine's (my cockatiel) wing, and she lets me do it! That is a big sign of trust for birds! All those hours of standing with my arm up like a perch paid off! My arm hurts and I feel great!!!
...
Since I have talked a few times about my birds I think I'll fill you in on the situation that was my birds and the project they became.
I had, and still have, one cockatiel and his name is Kess. Kess is a grumpy little bugger but he loves it when I read books to him and will gladly fall asleep to the sound of my voice. I can only pick him up when he is in a forgiving mood. (My only question is what I am being forgiven for and my only positive point - if it is one- is that he seems to like me more than anyone else. He hisses at other people...)
Apart from my a-social but book loving bird there is my brother's African Grey parrot. Now Flip was always a good-natured little fella (well big fella) but my brother for about... 6 years. If not more. Abandoned Flip. I'm not pointing fingers of blame at my brother because it is a demanding bird but I really think he should have thought twice before getting it. But boys will be boys....
Anyway Flip, being left alone, started to pull out his own feathers out of boredom. His only moments of happiness were when I would come back from school and me and mom would spend some time talking and singing to him. His feather problem, even though it does not spread from his stomach, is still there.
THUS! We come to the project!
My father loves to build stuff, if not to do it himself just to have the pleasure of having a project he can return to finished from work and admire the work that has been done. Cue our long-time friend Philip who helped build our little tower room from a bat infested box storage to a beautiful, wood-paneled, study. We convinced each other that we needed to make this bird happy at any cost and therefrom, the aviary came to life! OK not as big as in zoos, let's not exaggerate (our garden isn't that big).
Here are the pictures of the long, painful, and slightly expensive process of making our birds a better home.


And her it is finished!!! Yay!


No comments:

Post a Comment