One day I want to become a writer, and artist, an editor. I have traveled so much with my parents and my brothers that they are my closest friends and sometimes I wonder if I can actually say I come from any certain country. I love food so much that I think of countries according to the dishes they serve. And also, I am sharing my life with you.

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Write on Wednesday: 14

The Write On Wednesday Rules: Feel free to get creative with the writing exercises - there isn't a right or wrong. Please do try to visit the other members of Write On Wednesdays and leave a comment. You can grab the button for Write On Wednesdays from my sidebar.

Write On Wednesdays Exercise 8 - The clock winked...Write the words "The clock winked" at the top of your page. Set a timer for 5 minutes. Write the first words that come into your head after the prompt. Stop when the buzzer rings. Do this exercise over and over if you wish. Write beyond 5 minutes if you like, you can link it up as an extra post.

The prompts for Christmas are to use old prompts from InkPaperPen at our own leisure during the Christmas season. So I have chosen the Clock Winked.


The clock winked and the uneven arms stretched far across its pleasant face. The house was deserted, as few people as when its arms became one and the lights were all out.
The table groaned loudly and let itself creak on its hinges. There was no sound and it had no face to check if there were people, so it relied on the noises of the house. The house settled in turn, listening to the table and knowing that the time was right.
And as all this happened, Elijah sat there and listened. The whole house had sounds like this. The whole place was alive. He knew to hide next to the clock, waiting where its face couldn't see, waiting to hear the house come to life. It was his birthday that day. Another day in the house alone. The nanny didn't want to see him anymore, she couldn't stand the noises of the house. He had overheard her talking to his parents about how he was different and strange and would never speak.
If she wanted him to speak, he could only conclude that she didn't want to hear the house. Everyone knew you could only hear a house when you became a part of the house, an object that was still and almost lifeless.
The clock chimed next to his ear and the window shook against the pushing wind, the candles on the table flickered in response before one of them gave in to the darkness.
It was a dark day that day and it was only getting darker. And as the boy counted the sounds of the clock, he knew that his parents were late. Later than they ever were before.
The window shook with the strong winds of the outside and the house creacked in sorrow as the tears of the young boy resonated through its walls.

6 comments:

  1. hey it is a dark day here , too. so I really could feel the tension and i liked your way writing very much. NIce piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice piece, it could take you almost anywhere...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found the idea extremely interesting and it worked well with the flow of imagery and general pace of your writing, middle section about the nanny was my favourite, she obviously doesnt want to hear the house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done, a developing sense of fear and drama, of strangeness and difference - what has happened to the parents, why is the boy unusual? keep going!
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really interesting take on one of my favorite ever WoW prompts. Loved the opening line, I was lost on the second sentence though? A piece you could definitely expand on. Thanks for linking up to WoW in the holidays - I'm about to post the first ever prompt for 2012 so I hope to see you joining in again this year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, in the second line I was trying to go for as alien as I could since the clock is talking with its own mind. It's talking about midnight.
    I love WoW so I'll definitely be joining again.

    ReplyDelete