One day I want to become a writer, and artist, an editor. I have traveled so much with my parents and my brothers that they are my closest friends and sometimes I wonder if I can actually say I come from any certain country. I love food so much that I think of countries according to the dishes they serve. And also, I am sharing my life with you.

Monday, August 29, 2011

Monday's recommendation: in a Roald Dahl mood

I'm in a very Roald Dahl mood these days, having not read many of his books but enjoyed many movie adaptations I realized how many things were written by him. Some of the more famous examples would be Matilda, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and more recently Fantastic Mr. Fox.
I'm taking it upon myself to read more of his books since I really enjoy the way he writes. So I'm recommending to you out there the two ones I have read or am enjoying at this moment.


I read this when I was very young and as such have a biased opinion on it, being that everything you read and enjoy when you are young becomes translated into forever adoration for the rest of your life even if it isn't even that great.
This book however is fantasticly written and the story is entertaining at every moment. It's really hard to find a really great children's writer who doesn't go into the idiotic or go too far into the seriousness of an adult. Roald Dahl seems to achieve that great middle between the two. You get a great story and it's told to you in a way that does not make you seem like you don't understand the english language.

If you don't know the story yet or haven't seen any of the movies here is a small description.
Charlie is a young boy who doesn't have very much. He lives in a small house and enjoys the company of his four grandparents. They have never left their beds in all of their time as grandparents, and that is no little amount of time. During the time that they have been laying there, Willy Wonka, and entrepreneur of sorts, sets up a chocolate factory and in 15 years it becomes the greatest one in the country. And now when the factory is at its peak, Willy Wonka is allowing 5 lucky children to enter the factory and win a lifetimes supply of chocolate after their visit.
When Charlie revieves his money for working he can't resist the temptation of buying one of the Willy Wonka chocolate bars that he loves. Through a lot of hardships and temptations Charlie Bucket is one of the few who discovers a golden ticket inside of his chocolate bar.


These are six stories all rolled up into one small book. I have only read three but am enjoying them thouroughly. Unfortunately they are quite short and to tell you anything would result in telling you the whole story, or at least an important part. So I'll let you discover these on your own.
Only know that they are quite wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment