One day I want to become a writer, and artist, an editor. I have traveled so much with my parents and my brothers that they are my closest friends and sometimes I wonder if I can actually say I come from any certain country. I love food so much that I think of countries according to the dishes they serve. And also, I am sharing my life with you.

Monday, August 22, 2011

Monday's recommendation (after a few Mondays missed)

I feel like shouting "We're Back" but then that would imply that there was more people here than just little old me. Wasn't that a fantastic movie though? I'm going to add that on to the recommendations just for the heck of it, actually, you know what, I'm going to make this recommendations of kids movies! Yay!

Best Kid Movie Recommendations (leaving out Disney because otherwise this list would be too long)
so...
Best Kids Movies outside of Disney heaven:

We're Back! A Dinosaur Story


A scientist travels through time with a special cereal that increases brain capabilities. His mission is to give intelligence to a select amount of Dinosaurs and bring them back to our time to fullfill the wishes of all the children who want to see a real dinosaur. The protagonist is none other than a fun-loving Tyranosaurus Rex who befriends a young boy on the run from his family. The only thing that stands in the way of the childrens dreams is the scientists brother, who believes that fear is what people need.

Anastasia (a shout out to forgotten princesses n°1)

Anastasia is the daughter of the Tsar of Russia but when the revolutionaries attack she gets seperated from her grandmother and hits her head, wiping her memory of her past. Ania is an orphan, looking for her past and her only clue is the pendant around her neck that says 'Together in Paris'. To get to Paris without a visa however is almost impossible unless the charming Dmitri is willing to help her, his extra ticket however is only for the lost princess Anastasia.

Thumbelina (shout out n°2)

Thumbelina is born from a flower to a poor woman who thought she would never have any children (of course I always wondered why she was crying so much about not having children when she doesn't even have a husband...). Even though she loves her mother and her family, Thumbelina can't help but dream about the fairy people because, of course, they would be the same size as her. While this dreaming is going on who should drop into her house but a fairy on the run from his parents.
I can't really give a good summary of this movie since so many random things happen but man I love that fairy prince, he's really sweet.

My neighbour Totoro
(I realize it is dangerous to head into Hayao Miyazaki territory because I might end up recommending every movie he's ever made but here you have it.)


I absolutely love this movie because nothing really happens. You feel like your a child again when you watch it and you could watch it over and over and over without ever getting bored of seeing these two sisters gallop around their new home and discover its secrets.

(Alright so one more Moyazaki because they are the two best ones for children)
Ponyo


 Ponyo is one of the daughters of the ocean who befriends a young boy when he saves her from some rough waters. As they become closer Ponyo's wish becomes stronger to be part of the boy's world.
This movie is extremely adorable as well, I might even say excessively adorable, one big thumbs up of love!

The Road to El Dorado


This is one of my favorite, it's fantasticaly funny and that's all that I think is important in a really good kid's movie. Throw in Kevin Kline's voice and it's just gold (litteraly in this case).
Two young (I guess they're spanish--) men are escaping from some thugs after having cheated at something, again, and find themselves trapped on a boat heading to the New World. Unfortunately the Captain doesn't take well to stow aways and they find themselves running away again. On a row boat in the middle of the ocean they think that everything is lost until they finally reach land and everything on Tulio's map to the Golden City seems to appear before them.

An American Tail: I and II



If you haven't seen these you're missing out. A young mouse travels with his family from... Russia? to America where they want a new chance in the world and (apparently) there are no cats in America.
The second movie talks about them moving to the far West of America because (apparently) there are cats in America but not over there.

The Land Before Time


Alright so when I watch this now I cry uncontrollably but when I saw it as a child, it was fantastic! A young long neck loses his mother in a fight with a predator and has to find his way back to his family. Along the way he befriends all kinds of different dinosaurs that have the same problem as him.

Look Who's Talking
(not a cartoon I know)

Ok so this isn't a cartoon but gosh darn it, it was one of my favorite movies as a kid.
The story follows the thoughts of a baby from birth until his first words, and the life of his mother who finds herself with the child of a jerk but soon in the arms of a great man (John Travolta).

Can't think of anything else for the moment that isn't disney.

No comments:

Post a Comment