One day I want to become a writer, and artist, an editor. I have traveled so much with my parents and my brothers that they are my closest friends and sometimes I wonder if I can actually say I come from any certain country. I love food so much that I think of countries according to the dishes they serve. And also, I am sharing my life with you.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

My favorite romantic movies

I just watched a movie, I don't know why I've been putting off seeing it but I was a real idiot for having done so. So to pass out some of my knowledge and to urge people not to miss these amazing movies I'm making a list of my favorite romantic movies of all time. I'm just going to do movies and not series or you might get a list of BBC series that will go on forever.
These are not at all in order of preference. All of them are amazing... but maybe the first one is, in my opinion, the best.

N°1
Before Sunrise/Before Sunset




These two really deserve to be on top of all the rest. You know that moment in a movie, the one where you catch your breath and sit on the edge of your seat to get a better view of a TV that is probably already scotched to your face, the moment that follows that is a kind of cloud-like area where anything is possible and you bask in it as long as possible before the inevitable moment where the 'but' moment comes in and you get angry at one of the characters in the movie. Well these movies are entirely made up of the basking, cloud-like moment, there is no decent from this cloud until the last of the credits has left the screen and you're still thinking back at the wonder of it all. This romance is instant but developing, the character are impulsive but philosophical, they appreciate the small happiness' but exhibit classic pessimism, almost all the little ideas that go through peoples heads are discussed as the two characters wander around together discovering a new city as they discover each other. This is more of a description of the first movie but still a feeling that seeps through the sequel. I can't imagine a better movie to snuggle up against someone you love with.

N°2
Sabrina



This is a brilliant classic Jane Austen type romance, a sort of Pride & Prejudice meets Sense and Sensibility. Sabrina works for the Larrabee family, or more exactly her father is the chauffeur to a powerful American super business family. All her life she dreams of the youngest of the two sons from a tree in the parking lot until one day she goes to Paris and comes back transformed. Sabrina's story is possibly every girls dream as they grow up and I can't say that it wasn't mine the first time I watched this movie and fell in love with Harrison Ford. I can't deny that I'm sitting in a Paris in an apartment in Monmartre either.

N°3
Earth Girls are Easy




This movie is probably the most ridiculous on this list. An 80's musical romance. But it's probably the one I have watched the most. This silly romance is loaded with humor and real problems that couples face. The absolute honesty of the main characters and the way they look at their relationships never ceases to impress me and you can't help but cheer them on.

N°4
Titanic




Sad ending, but you can't deny that the romance between Jack and Rose is one to dream of. I was seven when I watched this movie for the first time and the only movie crush I ever had (for real) was Leonardo DiCaprio. It helps the Rose was a redhead and it's easy to imagine, for a seven year-old, that people that don't hate redheads like everyone else must love all redheads.
The love that the two characters share even to the whole ending of the movie is one of the greatest I have seen on the screen.

N°5
Down with Love




To say that I love this movie would be an understatement. Along with the great humor, the two characters in this movie really make it what it is. The added brilliance of a score that follows every movement right down to the batting of the characters eyelashes makes this movie a real blast from the past.This dedication to act like an old fashioned movie makes this movie fully loaded with the greatest sexual innuendo of all Romantic Comedies. This is definitely a must see.

N°6
Ever After



My favorite version of Cinderella.

N°7
Stardust


A fantasy about a star that falls to earth into a land that has just lost it's king, where magic and treachery rule and a young love struck boy from our world finds out who he really is.
A girl that lights up when she is happy and a handsome boy discovering his inner power as a beautiful witch, played by Michelle Pfeiffer, chases after them. What else could you want?

N°8
Meet Joe Black


A romance between a boy and a girl that suddenly develops into a romance between death and life as one discovers what the living experience and the other learns to let it all go. A romance not only between the woman and man but between two men that learn about sides of themselves and their lives that they hadn't seen before. this movie is vastly underrated and will always be a personal favorite.

N°9
The Painted Veil


This romance, nothing like the dreary book it comes from, is one full of hope. Probably the most deep and mysterious loves of all the ones on this list, these two characters really show us how love isn't all peaches and roses but sometimes hard work and a little acceptance is what you need to become a better person and find happiness. Another sad one I have to admit but this movie really is worth the tears you shed. One of the only sad movies my mother and I watched a couple times over.

N°10
Bridget Jones 1 and 2



These two movies are absolutely fun-packed and full of crazy adventures! Bridget Jones is an amazing character that gets herself into the craziest situations and finds out a little about herself when she finally gets out. The relationship between her two love-triangle men is one of the best I've seen and you can't help but laugh out loud at the two fight scenes of both movies. A must see.

N°11
You've Got Mail


If you haven't seen this one... I'm not sure you should be reading this list. You've got Mail is a rare jewel of romance movies and you won't want to miss a single moment of this movie (unlike those others where there's always that one passage that you feel you can go for the popcorn on or maybe fast-forward). Starting everything with letters is something all romantics wish they could do.

N°12
Sleepless in Seattle


Same actors, completely different story. This love starts at a distance as well and they do join together at the end like the previous movie but the two people in this romance are in need of something much more than the other story. I love the defects of these two and the way they bring them together. 

N°13
While You Were Sleeping


I love whoever had the idea of this story. It kind of resembles Sabrina in some ways. Or should I say in all the right ways.
A girl spends her days looking at the man she thinks she loves until, after a series of unfortunate events, the man is in a coma and she finds herself being called his girlfriend by all the staff in the hospital. This isn't a big problem, you might think, until his family shows up and said boyfriend wakes up with amnesia. What will his handsome brother think of all this?

N°14
Pride and Prejudice



Enough said.


N°15
The Princess Bride



Fantasy yet again, except this story follows all the steps of a fairytale with a narrator to add to it. I can't explain the awesomeness of this movie or the quirky funniness that gets me going, when the character seem to have discussions before they kill each other or the narrator goes off on his own little story. You'll love this romance, from the past to the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment