One day I want to become a writer, and artist, an editor. I have traveled so much with my parents and my brothers that they are my closest friends and sometimes I wonder if I can actually say I come from any certain country. I love food so much that I think of countries according to the dishes they serve. And also, I am sharing my life with you.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Write on Wednesday: 20

The Write on Wednesday Spark: Small expectations
As I am thinking about education and learning, kindergarten and university, I have taken this week's writing exercise from one of my early childhood books. It is an activity I do with small children and one that always inspires so I thought it would be fun to see what the exercise inspires in adults. So, your prompt is: Imagine yourself as tiny as your thumb.Where would you live? What would you do?


 I want to apologize for having skipped out on last week's Write on Wednesday, which I actually had time to do but could not find any inspiration for. Writing letters, in my opinion, is the hardest thing to do and instead of kill myself trying to think one up I spent my long weekend with a lovely boy.



 I grabbed the thorn anxiously, quickly ripping a piece off of the paper we kept in the supply room and running up the pin ladder to my room. The dog had pushed his head inside the other day and everything was still a mess. I sighed as I jumped up to pull down my bed. I swung in quickly before it shot back up into the air. 

I had always loved that my bed was closest to the kitchen. The others didn't want to suspend themselves next to the food. I wondered why we would suspend the kitchen at all if we were still going to worry about the critters. As it was I had an entire grape just in my reach and I plucked it quickly before I turned back to my page. Rubbing the soft end of the thorn against my chin I stared down at the blank paper. I had promised to keep a journal for my mother. It had turned out to be harder than I imagined. Nothing seemed important enough to write down. 
I dropped back against my bed, ripping off a piece of my grape. The soft tapestries that hung above, moved as the elders chatted softly. 

Closing my eyes I imagined my mother's face as she left. My heart had always been torn about having children. Veturing out on the journey to the birth house wasn't a decision you would take lightly. I turned to look at the world map on the wall. Our city stood proud and tall in the middle of the green forests and the birth house was far out, inside of the forest. 
They said the capital city used to be one dwelling. One enormous house for the myths of the past. I had a hard time believing it. 


I let myself doze off slightly as I dreamt of them. The giants in our myths. What would it have been like? To be big enough to call the capital a house? 
To not have to suspend the beds for fear of the critters? They must have been able to crush them with a mere step. Or not to have to lock up the women when they coul not move as well? All our people's lives depended on their quickness of foot.
The myths took places almost fourteen moons ago, fourteen generations. But I knew it was all just stories. There was no way there could be living creatures that big.  I looked at the map again.
The world wasn't big enough to fit giants. 


I believed that thought as it rocked me into sleep.


It wasn't until morning that the tremors would start and everything in our world would change forever.

4 comments:

  1. That was amazing writing! I absolutely loved the idea, and your imagery was stellar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, my. very nice story. i felt i was there, in the same space, feeling the same feelings. great descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA! Loved it. The ending is great, too. "I looked at the map again.
    The world wasn't big enough to fit giants." Is this symbolic of humanity's mapping and sense of size of our own universe? And who we think it can and can't contain?
    It's quite a full world packed into this tiny story... yet it read so fluidly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much, all of you.
    And yes, about the map, I was using a universe even smaller than ours to makes us realize that what we imagine to be impossible could be someone else's normal everyday life. I love the idea that there could be so many different worlds all in one, just that we don't realize it. ^^

    ReplyDelete