One day I want to become a writer, and artist, an editor. I have traveled so much with my parents and my brothers that they are my closest friends and sometimes I wonder if I can actually say I come from any certain country. I love food so much that I think of countries according to the dishes they serve. And also, I am sharing my life with you.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day

     There are several kinds of love. One is a selfish, mean, grasping, egotistical thing which uses love for self-importance. This is the ugly and crippling kind. The other is an outpouring of everything good in you - of kindness and consideration and respect - not only social respect of manners, but the greater respect which is recognition of another person as unique and valuable. The first kind can make you sick and small and weak but the second can release you in strength, and courage and goodness and even wisdom you didn't know you had.

-Steinbeck


Although I have never had a Valentine I am a hopeless romantic, and Steinbeck's idea of the second kind of love is something I think all romantics dream about.
What I think is very unfortunate is that, in my mind, things like Valentine's day inspire people to grasp at any kind of connection and that usually becomes a selfish love, inspired by selfish needs.

For that reason I don't think that Valentine's day should be blown up into such proportions. I think that if you are in love, mostly every day will be great if you can spend a moment of it with the one you love. If you aren't in love, don't force it, let it evolve and develop from friendships or meetings that you would never have considered if you weren't looking so hard.

If you have a Valentine today, enjoy it.
If you don't, enjoy it anyways. It is, after all, just another day.


Here's a little something for your entertainment. 

I got this from a friend's blog. Her and her sister are great, just head over here.

No comments:

Post a Comment