One day I want to become a writer, and artist, an editor. I have traveled so much with my parents and my brothers that they are my closest friends and sometimes I wonder if I can actually say I come from any certain country. I love food so much that I think of countries according to the dishes they serve. And also, I am sharing my life with you.

Monday, February 6, 2012

Monday's recommendation?

It's Charles Dickens 200th birthday!

I don't think I need to remind anyone of my obsession for A Christmas Carol so I will just mention it and move on to my general question.

Is it just me? Or is Charles Dickens (apart from a Christmas Carol) extremely depressing?
His stories do generally finish well but I feel like starting a Dickens book is investing yourself into a series of unfortunate events that will happen to a perfectly nice character for no other reason than that the world is bad and full of bad people. Personally I don't read to be reminded of these facts and I end up getting very angry at all the characters being mean and periodically grumbling something angrily at a character on my pages and snapping my book shut before opening it again reluctantly.
It's a very vexing experience all in all.

No comments:

Post a Comment